Thank you for the opportunity to be considered for support by the Philippine Commission on Higher Education (CHED). Thank you for Chairman J. Prospero E. De Vera III for his on going support for the College Education Behind Bars.
Leaders can have the most accomplished resumes but if they lack in passion, they cannot surge forward nor motivate their team to achieve their goals. Commission on Higher Education (CHED) Chairman J. Prospero “Popoy” de Vera kind of leader who is very passionate about his people never hesitate to take the biggest risks, step up to the plate, and help make the biggest leap forward to implement the vision of The President Duterte gives underprivileged Filipino students the opportunity to pursue college degrees through free tuition and exemption of other fees from state and local universities and colleges nationwide. According to de Vera, there are currently 112 state universities and colleges (SUCs) and 78 CHED-recognized local universities and colleges (LUCs) in the country where Filipino students can avail of free tertiary education.The law further allows Tertiary Education Subsidy, where the government sponsors underprivileged students for enrollment in private institutions if there are no government universities or colleges in their area.First introduced as a bill by then Senator Ralph Recto in 2016, President Rodrigo Duterte signed the bill into law on August 3, 2017. The implantation with its rules and regulations, however, was only formally set into motion on March 17, 2018.
The Office of the Chairperson (and Commissioners) shall provide overall policy and operational direction to all CHED Offices. It shall principally be responsible for the optimization of social, institutional and individual returns and benefits derived from the conscientious allocation, utilization and accountability of its funds and resources, following the tenets of efficiency and effectiveness; quality and excellence; relevance and responsiveness; and access and equity. Specifically, this Office:
- Serves as the source of overall direction and guidance to the Commission;
- Formulates policies, standards, plans and programs for the development and reform of Philippine higher education in a globalized context;
- Formulates policies and guidelines on the generation and allocation of funds for higher education, and recommends to the Department of Budget and Management (DBM) the budget of public institutions of higher learning;
- Deliberates on and resolves critical issues affecting higher education;
- Chairs the Governing Boards of SUCs and through this role ensures that CHED’s reform initiatives take root in the SUCs; and
- Represents CHED in meetings with the legislative and executive branches of government.
Click on image for full-size image.